Note: To minimize SURPRISES during your Caramoan travel., pls read thoroughly. Please ensure that all members of your group know what to expect and not to expect.
1. Caramoan travel is an adventure and not for every traveler.
2. Don’t expect too much. Remember that you are visiting a remote rural environment. Caramoan tourism is still in the developing stage. If you are looking for jet skis, banana boats, zip lines, other modern recreational facilities then you will be disappointed. Caramoan has very limited facilities. Caramoan offers natural beaches, crystal clear waters, scenic views, lagoons, underground spring water pools, water falls, caves, rock formations, etc as they are given to us by mother nature, untouched by the so-called tourism development.
3. Some places in Caramoan are still in a virgin state, the closest places you can get to nature. Just take extra care not to disturb them.
4. Most households in Caramoan, especially in the barangays raise domestic animals, like pigs, dogs, chicken, ducks, carabaos, cows, etc. Expect to smell animal odor occasionally during your travel. Roosters and dogs would cry out in unison even in the middle of the night.
5. Caramoan power is very unstable. Power failure occurs occasionally specially at night when you needed an AC most. Some accommodations provide emergency power to run electric fans. Very few accommodations have standby power to run all ACs.The worst case is when the power fails for sometime and subsequently the water supply is affected due to non operation of main water pumps.
6. During peak power usage hours(6pm to 10pm), most ACs won't work properly due to low voltage.
7. If you travel on a do-it-yourself, bring some cash in case the ATMs in Caramoan are off line.
8. Our Lady of Peace located on top of Caglago Mountain is a religious site. As a sign of respect, pls wear appropriately when visiting this site.
9. Most travelers visit a place once in a lifetime. Don’t take a risk on unknown travel agent or operators in caramoan. You could fall into the trap of the cheapies. Remember “If it is too good to be true, it probably is”.
10. Try to avail a tour operator recommended by a friend/relative or just visit Trip Advisor or other travel blogs and websites and see all the reviews about Caramoan accommodations/hotels. Written by travelers based on their first hand experience, the reviews are subjective and just a guide but should always be “taken with a grain of salt”.
11. Clear all your “DOUBTS” about Caramoan and your travel. If you have any doubts, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org . We will be glad to answer your questions. Surprises and unexpected turn of events can ruin your trip.
1. Caramoan is generally peaceful. Crime rate is next to nothing. You can walk in the streets in the middle of the night and no one will bother you.
2. There is no night life in Caramoan apart from a few videoke bars.
3. Caramoan is a laid back town. Most locals are usually inside their houses as soon as the night falls.
1. Caramoan is a REMOTE town. It is not ready for highly discerning visitors.
a. Via Overland Route - Regular Daily bus trips to Caramoan are now available from Naga city central bus terminal, a walking distance from SM Naga. Florencia Bus, Raymund Bus, MRR & Superlines.
b. Via Sabang Port(Wooden Outrigger Boat):
i. approx 1.5 hours from Naga to Sabang port by land
ii. approx 2 hours by sea travel from Sabang port to Caramoan port. click for wooden outrigger boat type here
iii. These boats do not have doors. You have to use the windows to go inside the boat.
iv. During summer, passengers are cramped to capacity
2. Caramoan sea travel is not for a faint-hearted. It's an adventure starting when you board a boat from Sabang/Nato Port to Guijalo Port.
3. At Sabang to Guijalo route, if the wind is blowing strongly from the south(Habagat sa Mayon), south-west(Habagat) or south-east(Salatan), be prepared to get wet even inside the boat(outrigger type). The sea will be rough all through out your journey. The more white caps the rougher the sea. This can be a horrifying experience for the first time travelers or for travelers who are not used to rough sea travel.
4. If you get sea sick easily, take your anti-sea sick tablets before boarding a boat.
5. If you are on maintenance medicines, bring enough medicines for the whole trip. Medical supplies in Pharmacies in Caramoan are very limited.
6. A floating platform is now used at Sabang port during low tides. Big boats can not dock at Sabang Pier during low tides. At Sabang Beach during low Tide
7. Watch your steps carefully when getting on and off a boat. The steps at the pier/boat can be very slippery
8. Caramoan is a typical town where road network is generally bumpy. The Guijalo to Bikal road, mostly used by locals and visitors, although paved has some bumpy portions. Even the newly cast has manifestations of rapid surface erosions. Expect this road to get worse in a few years time.
9. Wrap your mobile phone with a plastic or fit a neck strap when traveling the sea
10. Some Islands may not be accessible if filming of Survivor Series is on going.
11. When making a flight booking to Naga, always consider the bus schedule and travel time of 4hours from naga to caramoan.
12. When booking a return flight to Manila, always consider the bus schedule and travel time of 4hours from caramoan to naga.
13. For 2Days-1Nights, if you are traveling from manila by bus and returning using the same transportation on the next day, this tour package is not advisable the travel time will exhaust you. 3 Days-2 Nights would be ideal, at least you will have 2 nights to rest. If you travel by plane, the travel time for 2 Days-1 Nights to some is bearable. Some guests do this if vacation time is very limited.
Health and Safety
1. If you don't know how to swim, always wear a life jacket while on board a boat and while swimming.
2. Never jump into the water if you are not sure of the depth.
3. Never swim alone. Always have a companion and stay as close as possible to the shore. Tidal changes and current can put you in trouble.
4. During the months of April and May, jelly fishes are prevalent in Caramoan sea waters. Encounter with a jelly fish can vary from simple skin irritations to FATALITY.
5. Adults should look around the area for potential hazards before allowing the children to play or swim.Never leave children swim unattended.
6. Use sunscreen lotion before exposing to the sun.
7. Wear sun protection like wide hats, sun glasses, etc.as required.
8. As much as possible, avoid the sun from 9AM to 3PM.
9. If your skin is sensitive to insect bites, apply insect repellant to your skin at all times.
10. If you stay overnight at an isolated beach or island, have a standby boat just a cover in case of an emergency.
11. Have a bottled water with you at all times during travel.
12. Always be aware of the hazards of the sea.
13. Passenger boat from Sabang port to Caramoan and island hopping boats are not equipped with silencers. Expect a very noisy engine during your trip. Bring along an Ear Muff or Ear plugs to minimize the noise level.
14. Ask if you are not sure of anything you see around the area. One question can save you from an untoward incident.
15. Report any danger you see to your companions.
16. There are no food stalls or restaurants to buy your food on the beaches during island hopping. Most people bring their food/packed lunches from centro and eat anywhere convenient.
17. There is a hospital in Caramoan downtown, near the Municipal Building, manned 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. This hospital caters for minor sickness and minor emergencies only. Major cases are usually endorsed to Naga City Hospitals.
Weather and Tide
1. Always check the weather forecast regularly especially before your travel date. Weather Forecast 1, Weather forecast 2, PAGASA Forecast, Typhoon Tracking
2. As much as possible, know the timing of tidal changes. During low tides, island hopping is very difficult and swimming is not possible near the beaches on most locations. Tidal Table , Tidal Chart
3. At Bikal port during a big low tide, island hopping boats can not dock at the pier. Visitors have to be transported to the island hopping boat via a wooden boat without an outrigger to negotiate the mud. Usually this boat is maneuvered by two persons.
If you are not prepared to experience the above, WE BEG YOU not to come to Caramoan.
HAVE FUN, TAKE YOUR PICTURES, LEAVE YOUR FOOT PRINTS and DISPOSE YOUR TRASH RESPONSIBLY.
Let us preserve Caramoan. It is OURS, LET'S LOOK AFTER IT. We owe it to the next generations.